Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Week 12- Diverse Position Science Fiction

Ok, I have to start this post by saying that I really enjoyed Attack the Block, about a poor apartment block in London and how they deal with a sudden alien invasion. I think what I liked most was its' very British sense of humor and that while it dealt with alien attacks it wasn't overly flashy with special effects which to me made it all the scarier. The aliens were vague looking but definitely terrifying.

I liked that this movie not only took the alien invasion out of a prime location like the white house (or Buckingham Palace or the House of Lords etc in England) and put it in a low income neighborhood in inner city London. And that the heroes were really more anti-heroes. These were young, rough, kids who mugged people, stole, and did drugs and they ended up saving the whole planet, which to me is an interesting and different story to tell.
Another thing I found oddly enjoyable was not that characters died but that the film allowed for deaths to happen and not as plot lines but simply because THATS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IN AN ALIEN INVASION. People would probably die and not everyone gets away (although I still got a little sad when the dog died :/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment