Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Week 14- Not Necessarily the Future.

When prompted to write about how I envision the future, both in my lifetime and beyond, I was first sucked in to thinking about all of the negatives that exist in the word today. Disease, war, famine, natural disasters, the melting polar ice caps, global warming, water wars, food shortages, food excess, depression, anxiety, bigotry, hatred, violence, murder- you get the point this could go on forever.

HOWEVER. I am also happy at the thought that at this very moment, somewhere in the world someone is coming up with a solution to these things. I don't mean to say that all these things can be solved. Certainly there will always be violence and murder as well as love and kindness and newborn puppies as that is the human experience. But what I mean to say is that more that the innumerable bad things that plague the universe I am excited to see how people solve these problems. Just yesterday there was an article floating around the vastness of the internet that stated that a major car company had figured out how to fuel a car using carbonated water. If thats true, THATS AWESOME.

When I was 11 I saw the Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM) Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century. In it Zenon lives on a space station with artificial gravity, has a communicator where she can see and be seen by whoever she is talking to and is well traveled throughout the galaxy. At this time cell phones were just about to hit the Razr- mania stage where a motorola razr was the coolest phone to have next to a sidekick (it flipped open and had a keyboard and was the coolest shit on the BLOCK).

But anyways, now in 2015 I can take out my apple 6 phone and video chat my sisters in Cleveland while I'm on the beach ordering jimmy johns using free wifi and applying for jobs. THATS AMAZING. In the short amount of years since cell phones became a part of the mainstream they have advanced so much. Computers are now about the same size and weight at a small notebook when they used to take up entire rooms.

Also we have those coke machines now where you can choose your flavor (cherry coke, always)- these are truly amazing times whether we choose to see them as such or not. And the advancements in soda dispensaries aside, I believe that human beings want what is best for the planet and the people on it. I believe we are capable of creating solutions to the issues that plague us and that new ingenuity can lead to a better quality of living. One that I am excited to see.

Also, if there are not flying cars and lightsabers  by the time I die I feel I will have wasted my time on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment